Monday, March 7, 2011

Dear Hipsters,

While I know this will be an unpopular blog post, I feel like it needs to be said: I really detest SXSW.  For several weeks, downtown will be crowded and full of the smell of smoke and hippies who haven’t showered in awhile.

Admittedly, I am not “young and hip” like Anne Hathaway and James Franco. But, really, I do not enjoy the time of year when hipsters from all over the country descend on Austin in order to pay a fortune to watch some no-name, angst-ridden, starving artists play their “music”. (By the way starving artists, that is totally a choice that you made.  You could have a job if you wanted. If you choose to sleep in  your car, Jewel, that’s on you.)

Hipsters go and listen to bands they’ve never heard of and watch movies that are not cool enough to be at Sundance. Yeah, burn.

So, for the next two weeks, while most of you fight for parking downtown, get touched  by drunk idiots who smell of smoke and funk and listen to original songs, I plan to stay as far away as possible. You know where those hipsters won’t be? The Domain.  That’s where I’ll be.


6 comments:

  1. dear hipster counterpunto retort: jake gyllenhaal will be here. see below post to stare into his blue eyes. plus, sxsw free shows offer free drinks 60% of the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm pretty sure Jake will watcg his movie downtown and then would prefer to have lunch with me at the Steeping Room at the Domain. When Jake and I have tea, I will text you.

    And you know where you can get free drinks 100% of the time? Las Vegas. Or from boys. Pretty much any boys.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did someone say #vodkatonic?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how I love this post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ugh, I hate this time period. Seriously, traffic yesterday at 6:30 leaving downtown was horrible. And it's only just beginning.
    Plus, I think this weekend people (teachers) from across the state are headed to the Capitol to protest. I am not going north of Stassney Lane this weekend. You. Can't. Make. Me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. In defense of #sxsw and the fine people of Austin, there was a car on its head outside of Hooters. Traffic on the So First bridge was unbearable... but if you were fortunate enough to be on the Congress Ave bridge, you were set. Just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete