Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Tv Show Mad Libs

I love reading the recaps from Gossip Girl on various websites the Tuesday after a new episode airs. Websites tend to have smart, snarky and hilarious people write them up to the point where I sometimes feel I’m watching the episode just to supplement the recaps and not the other way around.

Last night (and every Monday until April 18th) there was no new episode. As I sat here thinking about how sad I was to have to wait and see what’s gonna happen between Dan and Blair (I dare to Dair). I realized something: Gossip Girl is basically an episode of Law and Order: SVU just in a different context.  And really, the framework of any serialized television show is the same.

Plot Point
Law and Order: SVU
Gossip Girl
Template for other shows
Event of the Week
Crime

Party/Gala/Charity Fundraiser
Something exciting! Ex. spy mission, law case, family dinner
Sexual Tension of the week
Olivia and Elliot
Nate and Dan
Attractive person and another attractive person
Crazy Supporting Characters
Ice-T (I don’t even know his name on the show)
Eric,
Someone with giant hair or someone who is socially awkward
Guest Stars

Add some snappy dialogue + identifying details (ex. Gossip Girl uses headbands and low cut or high slitted dresses for Serena to wear) and you have a hit tv show! This framework fits with so many tv shows!  I only wish I could get a PhD in television.

1 comment:

  1. I think you just wrote the outline of your thesis for your Ph.D. in television.

    Someone hop on Word and print that (honorary) degree.

    ReplyDelete